Crayon Tree

I had fun creating a some background paper with Distress Crayons (detail photos below!) and this is one of the cards I came up using it!  It’s a simple Christmas card, but I hope you enjoy!

The tree die cut is a negative space design, so after cutting it I trimmed it down to have a narrow border and glued it over the background paper.  Once that was dry, I trimmed again and layered it onto a teal layer of card stock.  I left the top & bottom edges of that piece so it could be trimmed to fit on my finished card.  I played around with several background ideas, looking for a way to add texture and shine without competing with the focal point.  I chose this fabulous snowflake embossing folder and sprayed it with Perfect Pearls mist, then trimmed it down to fit on a card base the same ivory color.
 I wanted the sentiment on a round/oval shape die to match the round baubles on the tree, so die cut a lighter green oval and stamped with Distress Oxide in blue to tie it all together.  It’s a very simple layout, but there’s a lot of shine and texture 🙂 Here's another shot in direct sunlight to catch the shimmer and texture on the ivory background…
For the background paper,  I started with a simple collage of torn book paper on some cardstock, painted with a thin coat of white gesso. I pulled out an assortment of greens & blues from the sets of Distress Crayons I have…
 I scribbled bits of color all over my background…  as you can see, I was very careful 😉
 Then I misted some more water and got my fingers inky, smearing & blending the colors!  I added some extra depth of color by highlighting along some of the torn edges with more crayon.
 I selected a couple different stencils and used a slightly wet rag (I just sprayed a bit of water in a corner of it) to rub through the stencil and remove some of the color.
 … and my background was complete!  I really love how it turned out!  
 Hope this gives you a little inspiration for your Christmas card crafting… there’s a ton of great products in the online store if you need a little something new to give you a boost!


Materials Used:
Memory Box Snowflake Tree Die
Oval die (Sizzix)
Merry & Bright stamp by Stampabilities
Turquoise Perfect Pearl Mist (get a similar look with new Mica Sprays!)
Distress Crayons, Gesso, stencil 

Comments